May 9, 2013

COMMUNICATION TECHNIQUES






Communication skills are behaviors that help communicators achieve their goals (O’Hair & Wieman, 2012). The person that I think has competent communication behavior is my husband when he is dealing with a professional issue. I have heard him talk in the phone and very passively he can let the other person know he is not happy with them. My husband does not use profanity or raises his voice, yet; he always gets his point across. I have observed him sit through meetings and although he does not agree, he knows how to listen, analyze, and then speak. A channel is the method through which communication occurs (O’Hair & Wieman, 2012). There are various methods that may be used to make the communication easier. One method my husband likes to use is paraphrasing. My husband likes to paraphrase what the other person said and this helps clear the understanding between him and the other party involved. By paraphrasing he is assuring he is on the same page as the other person. When I first met my husband I had come from an abusive relationship and I thought talking meant yelling when you were upset. He has taught me patience and also to remain calm when I am upset or I do not agree. His communication behaviors are effective therefore I started modeling them fifteen years ago. Before I met him, I was used to walking away from a conversation when it did not go my way. His effective ways have taught me how to manage my personal life with him better as well as my professional life.
Reference
O'- Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2012). Real communication. New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.

3 comments:

  1. Dina, you husband sounds like an excellent communicator. Paraphrasing is an excellent way to make sure that you understand what someone has said. This is true with children as well as adults. Many misunderstanding can be eliminated if more people used paraphrasing.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dina,

    I enjoyed to read through your post especially about the influence your husband has had on you through these years. Paraphrasing is like taking the speaker from the known/ acknowledged to the unknown, which may be one's own perspective. Like Cynthia mentioned, this is how we reach children in lessons or any other time when there is need to relieve and understand information.
    I am sure lessons learned from your hubby is helping you today when teaching young children about nature and our beautiful planet.

    By the way, I love the posted picture, its really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Dina,
    I really love reading your blog. Like your husband I love paraphrasing. As soon as I read the beginning of your blog, as sound as I read your statement “although he does not agree, he knows how to listen, analyze, and then speak” I thought of confuses “it is better to be thought of as a fool that open your mouth and remove all doubts.” Please don’t misunderstand me I am NOT in any ways calling your husband a fool not all, on the contrary… It sounds like your husband is a very intelligent person with common sense thinking.

    ReplyDelete