May 27, 2013

Who am I as a communicator.......



The one thing that surprised me the most about the assessments I took this week was that in my verbal aggressiveness I scored a significant score which the interpretation is below:

 With little provocation, you might cross the line from argumentativeness, which attacks a person’s position or statements, and verbal aggression, which involves personal attacks and can be hurtful to the listener.

This totally surprised me because after my daughters assessed me, I scored way lower according to them. This means I judge myself too hard. I do not agree that I get involved in personal attacks. I do however; agree that I can attack the point, position or statement if it goes against my integrity and values. As the course progresses , I keep learning more and more factors that encompass communication. Some of these factors include listening skills as well as implementing skills when we articulate our thoughts.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dina,

    I think that it is even exciting to get a surprise like you did because the jolt feeling can propel you to make an equivalent communication goal for the week.
    It would also have helped to get a colleague assess you for a more balanced report on your communication ac contexts have a way of influencing our conversation quality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dina, I found it interesting that my husband scored me as having a significant aggressive style yet my daughter scored me as moderate, the same as me. I found it interesting that people see us differently depending on their relationship with us. I know my husband will still love me, no matter what, so I guess I am more aggressive in the ways that I communicate with him, especially when it is something I am passionate about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Dina,
    I can truly relate to what you are saying concerning your evaluation scores. I had my daughter and an ex co-worker evaluate me and to my total surprise my score for myself was way off the chart as far as how she and my ex-coworker. It was not on the Verbal Aggressiveness I scored myself at a 70… which in my opinion is not good nor did the description really describe me. I did learn however, that I really need to pay attention more to when my children try to tell me about myself : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Dina,
    I am happy to know that all worked out in your favor. I think that fact that you did not wait to address your concern really help as well. When I was working in the field of early intervention myself and others were not as fortunate as you. It had gotten so bad that the CEO had to come in and hire a Mediator which only helped on the surface as if the damage was a small cut. Unfortunately the wombs for far too deep and many good working employees left. So it sound like your administrator was smart in listening to you good job!!

    ReplyDelete