May 20, 2013

Communicating Differently



STRANGERS, PEOPLE DIFFERENT FROM US, STIR UP FEAR, DISCONFORT, SUSPICION, AND HOSTILITY. tHEY MAKE US LOSE OUR SENSE OF SECURITY JUST BY BEING ...."OTHER".   - Henry J.M. Nouwen

I work at an elementary school that is very rich with cultural diversity. Sometimes I do catch myself communicating differently because I have realized that the words are used different in every culture. Some words that are common everyday words for me some other cultures view them as offensive, “bad words” or even “cuss words”. Since I learned this I have to be very careful how I speak and how I apply the words. Although we may not intend anything negative, sometimes unintentionally we offend someone through more subtle use and misuse of language (Beebe, Beebe, & Redmond, 2011).

For example in Mexico the word “Huevon” means lazy or couch potato. In other countries it means something very offensive. I have to be careful not to call the children “Huevon” whenever they are not doing their work because they might go and tell their parents I said a bad word.

Reference

Beebe, S.J., Beebe, S.J., & Redmond, M.V. (2011). Interpersonal communication: Relating to Others (6th ed.)Boston, A: Allyn &Bacon

3 comments:

  1. Dina you are so right. It is very easy for us as educators to commutate with a child/family and use the wrong words; however it’s not meant to cause any harm. I guess that why it is a must that we learn about different cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my husband and I moved to rural Florida many years ago I did not realize that there were such differences in language. I had never heard the term "cut on or off the lights" and I remember correcting a couple of very young children who lived nearby. I told them that you don't "cut" lights on or off, but that you turned them off. Cutting was for scissors. I was young and naive. I hope that I did not offend the family. They probably were thinking that, since I was a Yankee, I didn't know what I was talking about. In western PA they use the word "ignorant" to mean "rude". I felt that they were ignorant to think the work ignorant means rude. I was actually the ignorant one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Dina,
    In know what you mean about being careful what words you are using around your students. I had an experience the other way. When we first moved to New Mexico, I was not familiar certain colors so when I heard the color black in Spanish "negro," I of course assumed that the individual who said it was being disrespectful. I guess the point I am trying to make is that I can truly see how we need to find the middle and as Allyn & Bacon, (2011) suggested “other oriented” may just be going toward the right direction.


    Reference
    Allyn & Bacon, Inc. (2011). "Interpersonal communication and diversity: adapting to others 85–114. Clearance Center.

    ReplyDelete