April 13, 2013

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression



The memory that I experienced as a child feeling oppressed was when a teacher in summer school would not want me in the swim team. After many try outs, another mother told my mother that she did not want me because I did not have blonde hair and my complexion was not as white like the other five girls so I would stand out. As a 12 year old child, this made me think my hair color was ugly. Although I felt this oppression, this also gave me the determination to keep trying until the coach eventually recognized my talent and allowed me to be part of the team. Incidents such as these during my childhood allowed me to become the resilient person that I am now. I never felt sorry for myself but instead I always felt like I had to prove to the world that I was better than how they perceived me. This fostered in me leadership skills and helped me endure a world of discrimination and prejudice. My main protection factor was my family’s love around me all the time this was going on. I never felt ashamed of who I was or felt inferior to anyone, like I had mentioned in the past, I was not aware I was poor because in my mind I was always rich with a beautiful family and a childhood full of laughter.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dina,
    I am so sorry that you were not accepted by a coach because you did not look like the rest of the girls and as a result thought that your hair was ugly. I think we all go through phases like that in childhood where if we do not look like someone else, we want to change ourselves so having an adult reinforce behavior like that is sad. I loved your last statement though about not being aware you were poor because you had such a supportive family. That's the way all children should feel. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dina,

    Your perseverance and resilience are sure great personal qualities that have sustained you then and surely today. The love of family were great support that many children today also need to fend off oppression as like you children want to learn, they want to be a part of teams. As educators we can support children who may be reluctant to engage who may find that oppression leaves them powerless by taking time to recognize what they need, sometimes a lack of materials, sometimes someone to talk to, and sometimes injustices in our programs and practices. Your resilience to oppression is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awful you experienced as a little girl. I am glad it didn't foster self-hatred. I have to be honest that I didn't know there was discrimination within the Caucasian against one another. This proves that we as society has to put a stop to it because discrimination is alienating everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really sad that you not being apart of the team was because of your hair color and complexion. I have to agree with a Dawn, I had no idea that Caucasians discriminated against each other. I have heard of African-Americans doing this but not Caucasians.

    ReplyDelete