September 24, 2012

My Connections to Play


“MY CONNECTIONS TO PLAY”

“We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.”  - George Bernard Shaw.

“If animals play, this is because play is useful in the struggle for survival; because play practices and so perfects the skills needed in adult life” Susanna Miller


Jump Rope, an essential play item in my childhood, sometmes improvised with rubber bands tied together sinc there was no rope available.

 
 

Often I played with my cousins “Gallinita Ciega” or “Blind Chicken” which consisted of playing tag with a blindfold in your eyes

 
 

Hopscotch was another childhood game.  Usually referred to as "Mamaleche" in Spanish, which means suckingmilk. I do not know why it is named lied this in Spanish, that is something I wondered since I was a child since the game does not relate to the name.I usually did not have chalk so the hopscotch was drawn on the dirt with a stick or formed with pebbles.

My childhood Playing Years

My parents always supported play because I do not remember my mother or father ever calling me to do chores or interrupting my play. One time I remember I had mixed up everything I could find, including weeds and dirt and was playing “chef”. When my father got home from work, he asked what I was doing and I said fixing dinner. He then asked if he could have some. I never thought he would really eat from my invention but he actually did. I remember the look on his face as he spit it out. I was not aware back then but my dear father was supporting my play. That created a memory that I have never forgotten and do not think I ever will. Most of my play consisted of outdoor games and limited resources, just my imagination. I think this has changed over the years and children are losing the traditional outdoor childhood games. Sadly most children rely on electronics for entertainment and are outdoors for a very short time. I think this is the cause obesity is higher and more children are becoming less physically active with heart problems, blood pressure problems, and other health conditions.

Playing was a very important part of my childhood. Growing up, I was the youngest and my siblings were already teenagers so most of the time I played alone. On weekends, I would go to my grandmother’s home and would have a feast playing with all my cousins. Now that I am a mother, I enjoy playing with my daughters. I encourage my child’s imagination by sewing clothes together for the Barbies. As an adult, I wish I could spend more time “playing”, I know it relaxes me when I take a break from everything and just engage in my daughter’s imaginary world where Barbie cars can fly and ponies can talk…….

8 comments:

  1. I can recall playing in the grass and dirt and calling it dinner as well. As a child I played quite often especially when homework was finished, on the weekends, and during vacation times, but I never thought of it as a learning experience until my adults years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I know what you mean about not viewing play as a learing experience as a child. The more I read about childhood, the more I recall moments in the classroom and have that "AHA" when teachers conducted activities to help me learn and I was not aware why they were doing them back then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dina,
    Great postings with interesting pictures about the type of play you was involve in. It is also great to read that your parents encouraged play, because there are some parents who only focus on the academic aspect of learning for their children. Yes I also have taken notice that the youngest siblings tend to engage in playing along. My youngest son does this a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Learning how children play is essential to really understanding them, and to actually be a part of their play is an even more enlightening experience. I commend you for spending time with your children during play. I love that you help them sew clothes for the dolls, my eldest sister (18 years older) used to help me with that, too, and I remember that time as one of my best memories with her. Thank you for sharing, Dina.

      Delete
  4. THank you for sharing some of your culture with us. It would be interesting to do some research to find out why hopscotch in Spanish is refered to Mamaleche. I remember playing hopscotch in elemenary school during recess. It many of the posts that I have read I don't remember reading about recess in our early years. I know that in todays world many schools are not doing recess due to wanting to focus on more academics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow I loved the game of hopscotch. What are some other games we may not know that are similar in your culture that we may have played as children?

      Delete
  5. I think it is interesting to note that despite the fact that you may not have had the traditional things needed for an activity, you found a creative way around it and figured out materials you had access to that would work. This adds even another dimension to your play as a child. I, personally, was able to be provided with the jump rope for jumping and the chalk for making hopscotch, however, we still used these items for creative purposes such as using the jump rope for the net when playing tennis on the driveway. Although my parents were able to afford the same video games and technological devices that kept my friend busy indoors, my parents chose to instead focus on providing us with equipment for outdoor activities. I thought at the time that my parents were depriving me of things my friends all had, but upon reflection, they did me a favor and allowed me the ability to create my own opportunities to explore and learn, all while having fun doing it.
    -Alyson

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you that children do not value the ideal of outside play. You were creative in using replacements when you did not have the actual toy available. It is great that you take the time to play with your daughter, she will remember and appreciate it later in life, just like you remember when your dad played with you.

    ReplyDelete