May 16, 2012

Personal Childhood Web

CHILDHOOD BLESSINGS............


Although my father would bring home a paycheck of about $120.00 a week, He was a very hard worker who always placed his family first.
I first entered the work force at the age of nine. At that young age, my job consisted of walking behind the adults carrying a jug of water while they worked under the very hot Texas sun. At the age of 11, I joined the adults and also weeded the cotton fields just like them. When I was around thirteen years old, we migrated to Minnesota in the summer and worked the fields over there. The Minnesota days were longer and I remember working 12 hour days. The only advantage was that in Minnesota, it wasn’t as hot as it was in Texas. Working at an early age helped me build a strong character and believe in myself. It also taught me to give 100% in everything I do no matter what the task is. Because my father always told me I was a very talented person, I felt like I had the most important job in the world. This helped me become a secure and determined individual.
Maybe for someone that has not been through my experience, this will be difficult to understand. Growing up like that, I learned to be grateful for my parents and also value education. My parents never had an education and that is why they struggled in life. Although I never complained for helping them, I always knew I wanted something better for my children. Working for very little money at an early age made me realize the value of money. I was not the child that was spoiled with expensive toys, so I had to use my creativity.
Since my parents could never afford the big Barbie house, I would build my own houses out of twigs and anything I would find. The toys that I always had were pencil and paper. As a result of this, I spent many hours fantasizing and writing about different stories. I also became a good drawer. Maybe someday these skills will come in handy when I help a child develop his imagination and motor skills.
While cleaning cotton fields, we were a very united family and my parents made it so fun, it was almost like a game. The days were long and tiring but we appreciated a snow cone at Dairy Queen in the evening like it was gold. I am a very talkative person and I believe I acquired those skills because spending so many hours in the fields, my father and mother always taught us to be open and talk to each other so the day would seem shorter. I was aware of time management at a very early age since my mother always instilled in us to get up early and enjoy the freshness the new morning brings. Now that I am an adult, I think I do a good job of managing my time and I cannot help but wonder if getting up for the fields instilled that habit in me. I also value other’s time as well as my own.



My father is a very humble man full of wisdom despite the fact he only completed fourth grade. He always showed me to abide with integrity and honesty. Growing up my father was always there to help me with a science project, history essay, and intricate mathematics. Although he did not have much school he always has been very knowledgeable and multi talented. My father can do anything and just like a child I still believe he is my Superman.



                                          

                                               
                           “MY SUPERMAN”


My mother taught me to have leadership skills and stand up for what I believe. My mother is a person that never learned how to drive and has depended on my father for the last 46 years to move her around. Having lived in the United States for over 30 years my mother never learned to speak English either. These are just some of the barriers she endured and still managed to up bring five healthy thriving professionals who will leave a legacy for generations to come. My mother taught me to be a strong willed hard worker and accomplish whatever I set out myself to do.

                                  
                        "MY BEAUTIFUL MOTHER”


           “MY TWO VIEJITOS”





My oldest sister Martha was always there to cook and nurture me when my mother was working. The fact that we have a 10 year age gap between us did not stop her from playing dolls with me whenever I was bored. By playing dolls and making clothes out of old rags she developed my creativity skills. I remember being a child and watching her put on her makeup and thinking she was going to be a supermodel some day. Besides her physical beauty my sister has always had an essence that brings me comfort no matter what is going on in my life.



                               

                              “BIG SISTER”


                                            Myself and my three sisters having fun..............
                  From left to right; Martha, Lorie, Alma, Dina


My grandfather was a very strong opinioned man who portrayed himself as being “harsh” but inside he was really sweet with a very tender heart. He often cried with the soap operas and movies but only in private. To the world, he was a very hardworking man who worked until his last breath. To his grandchildren, he was the clown, the comedian, and the person who liked to make us laugh by doing crazy dance moves in the Christmas reunions.
My grandmother was a very sweet lady who made me believe I was the most special of all her 100+ grandchildren. My grandmother had 15 children who yielded more than 100 grandchildren and great grandchildren. Despite this, she never forgot one birthday throughout my childhood.  Growing up, I never bothered to know if she remembered all of the birthdays. I just knew I could look forward to my very own box of “mazapanes” (Mexican candy) every year. It was not until I was 28 and I lost her that I wondered how she remembered my birthday among so many grandchildren and children. The life lesson I learned from her is to get up after I fall and face adversity with a smile. Although she lived in a difficult era, never once did I hear her complaint about her circumstances. She would always mention she was blessed to have such a big family. Her influence continues to impact me because I appreciate my family and have strong family values thanks to her.

                       
                                 

                                                                                                       
            "Grandpa and Grandma"

 
                                                       
                          “ A few cousins……..”

2 comments:

  1. It seems to me that you have been blessed by a family who has given you opportunities to grow and develop a strong sense of belonging. While reading your post, I felt that your grand parents’ involvement has been a great joy and inspiration to you. You seem very proud of your father, and I believe that this is something extremely valuable. Father-daughter relationship is one of the most cherished relationships that can have great impact on a woman. I know that because I was fortunate to share an amazing journey with my own father. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your feedback Reem,

    Yes, Although I have been blessed by many people I am specially proud of my father's accomplishments and sacrifices. He always placed us first and foremost before anything. He is a man of high integrity and great wisdom. I am glad to hear you also had a very positive experience with your father's relationship growing up.

    ReplyDelete